Skip to navigation
You Can Rely On

Is There a Time Limit for A Personal Injury Lawsuit?

Cranwell & Moore P.L.C. Feb. 15, 2023

When you are in an accident, you may need legal action to receive compensation. That’s one of the basics of the personal injury system. However, if you do not understand this and wait too long, you may lose your opportunity.

At Cranwell & Moore P.L.C., Attorneys at Law, we have worked with victims of personal injury accidents for over 30 years. We understand Virginia’s laws and are committed, compassionate attorneys for our clients from Roanoke. We have the experience and skill to help you find the answers you’re looking for and help you get the compensation you deserve.

A Brief Look At Virginia’s Statute Of Limitations

In most cases, the statute of limitations for any personal injury matter from a car crash to a slip, trip and fall is two years. However, there are a few circumstances where the statute of limitations is longer, such as medical malpractice, which can have up to a 10-year statute of limitations.

While it may seem like a great deal of time, one of the companies’ first strategies is to “run out the clock.” They may tie up your compensation for a long time with promises and delays to avoid paying you at all. However, all you must do to ensure the statute runs smoothly is file a lawsuit.

Can Virginia’s Statute Of Limitation Be Paused?

The legal term for “pausing” a statute of limitations is “tolling.” There are some specific circumstances where the state allows for the tolling of a civil action, and they include:

  • Injuries to minors

  • Those who suffer a major disability

  • The prospective defendants were engaged in fraud

In each case, the statute of limitation can be paused for a period, which differs based on the scenario.

Creative. Caring. Committed.

If you or someone you love has suffered an injury, reach out to us to find out how we can help. We work with you to help you pursue compensation. We offer you a free consultation so you can learn everything you need to know about your case.

Call or send an email to get started.