The news stunned you and your family. Your loved one was among the victims who died in a motor vehicle accident. Disbelief turns into acceptance, accompanied by shock, sadness and emptiness.
Then you find out that the driver of the other vehicle caused the crash. It is time to pursue a wrongful death action. Doing so may set you in the direction of financial recovery, but you still most confront the emotional impact.
Medical expenses and loss of companionship
Granted, no amount of money can ever replace your loved one. However, so many costs arose after his or her death; a death caused by the negligence of another party. The money from a settlement or trial award may soften the blow and help pay for a number of expenses.
In a wrongful death lawsuit, you may seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses: The lifesaving attempts by emergency care staff, surgeons and nurses were not enough. With their efforts come medical bills that need to be paid.
- Funeral and burial costs: In Virginia, funeral costs are close to $8,000. They entail expenses from the funeral home, memorial services, minister fees as well as securing a death certificate.
- Sorrow and anguish: Extreme sadness is possible, potentially causing mental health issues and depression. You may need treatment whether through a therapist or prescription medication.
- Loss of companionship: A grieving spouse and a couple’s children lose the affection, care and comfort of their loved one. That strength and support they received is no longer there.
- Lost income: As a team, you had a solid combined income or were able to live simply on the income of your loved one. With your spouse’s death, that income is gone, and you can expect some setbacks.
After a tragedy, every day may prove to be a challenge. But take matters one step at a time.
Getting some relief
Can you recover from the death of a loved one? It will prove difficult as the experience likely will take a toll on your mental, physical and financial health. Pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit may provide some relief on the financial front. But make sure to get other help that you need.