How to deal with car accident-related PTSD

On Behalf of | Nov 27, 2017 | Car Accidents |

If you were recently involved in a car accident in the Vinton or Roanoke area, you might become so focused on your physical injuries that you overlook the signs of mental trauma. Not all accident victims sustain physical injuries. There are some who experience psychological issues, such as insomnia, irritability, aggression, anxiety, fear and nervousness that do not go away. If you notice that the stress, anxiety and shock you are experiencing from your accident are lingering or growing worse, you could be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Besides seeking out medical attention for your physical and psychological injuries, you should also consider the following advice on how to handle your PTSD.

Do not keep things pent up

You may feel afraid to talk about your feelings and the incident with others. But keeping those feelings pent up inside can make them worse and harder for you to deal with. It is important for you to seek out emotional support after a car accident from a professional therapist or close relative to aid your recovery.

Get a hobby

You need to learn to refocus your thoughts and energy, so you do not think have much time to think about the symptoms. If you are physically able, you might want to consider exercising because it releases natural mood-boosting hormones that can improve your mental health.

Do not rush to get back behind the wheel

It is normal for people with PTSD to feel scared about getting back in the driver’s seat. You should not rush to drive again until you are comfortable enough to do so. If you feel it is taking you too much time to regain your driving confidence, consider taking a professional driving course to strengthen your driving skills and comfort.

Recovering from PTSD after a car accident is not always easy to do. There may be financial and health issues that you are also dealing with that can impede the healing process. You may find it beneficial to speak with an attorney about your situation for guidance and support.